Hahnemann University and History of Homeopathy
W/MCP & Women in Medicine
- GUIDE to Collections
- Guide index
- Collection descriptions
- Finding Aids
- Subject Guides
- College Records
- Image and sound
- Alumnae/i Files
- Oral history
- Finding aids
Citing the Guide
Various collections contain oral histories:
Oral history collection on Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, 2003 (Accession 2003.3)
Twelve video oral history interviews with Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania graduates, faculty and staff. Interviews were conducted in 2003 by Joanne Grossman and TJ Dixon.
- Barnes, Anne , M.D. (faculty)
- Bartuska, Doris, M.D. (WMC 1954)
- Brooks, Brooks, M.D. (WMC 1965)
- Chick, Barbara, M.D. (WMC 1959)
- Cohen, D. Walter, D.D.S. – Chancellor Emeritus and former MCP President
- Forster, Gail – early leader of the National Board of the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania.
- Klinghoffer, June , M.D. (WMC 1945; faculty) - this interview can be viewed online, courtesy of Christof Daetwyler of the TIME (Technology in Medical
Education) group at Drexel University College of Medicine.
- Kroser, Lila, M.D. (WMC 1957)
- Landau, Burton, Ph.D. (faculty)
- Polk, Gene-Ann, M.D. (WMC 1952)
- Schnaufer, Louise, M.D. (WMC 1951)
- Wood, Margaret Gray , M.D. (WMC 1948)
Oral History Collection on Women in Medicine, 1978 (Accession 31)
Audio recordings, transcripts and support materials of interviews with 44
physicians and medical students. Each transcript is indexed and is introduced
by a biographical sketch based on the interview.
- Some transcripts are online, linked below.
- Additionally, there is a Catalog and Combined Index to all the transcripts (PDF link, 6MB) of the Collection.
- Audio reference copies of the interviews are available locally.
The project was conducted over a two year period by Carol Fenichel, Cynthia S.
Pomerleau, Ph.D., Regina Morantz, Ph.D. and Sarah Burke.
Barnes, Ann , M.D.
Bartuska, Doris , M.D.
Benes, Susan , M.D.
Bennet, Maxine , M.D.
Braunwald, Nina , M.D.
Brown, Dorothy, M.D. (restricted)
Bruce, Nadine, M.D.
Clark, Esther Bridgman, M.D.
Conley, Frances, M.D.
De Schweinitz, Louise, M.D.
Docking, Leah Stevens
Dolby, Karen, M.D.
Dustan, Harriet, M.D.
Fay, Marion, Ph.D.
Hardy, Harriet, M.D.
Haseltine, Florence, Ph.D., M.D.
Herman, Judith, M.D.
Holmes, Grace, M.D.
Howell, Mary, M.D.
Jeffries, Rhonda, M.D.
Karatinos, Gillian, M.D.
Koeneke, Irene, M.D.
Magee, Joni, M.D.
McGrew, Elizabeth, M.D.
Michaelson, Beryl, M.D.
Morani, Alma Dea, M.D.
Nichols, Victoria, M.D.
Scudder, Ida, M.D.
Shainess, Natalie, M.D.
Sirridge, Marjorie, M.D.
Sirridge, Mary, Ph.D.
Sirridge, Stephen, Ph.D.
Soule, Jan, M.D.
Spiegel, Ann, M.D.
Spurlock, Jeanne, M.D.
Stitt, Pauline, M.D.
Sturgis, Katharine, M.D.
Thomas, Caroline Bedell , M.D.
Wilson, Marjorie, M.D.
Oral histories in the Black Women Physicians Project (Accession 178)
Brown, Jayne Dickens Henderson, M.D., 1988
Dickens, Helen Octavia, M.D., 1988
Moorehead-Laurencin, Helen, M.D., 1989
Gamble, Vanessa Northington, M.D., Ph.D., 1988
Individual oral histories in the collection (This is a partial listing. Many collections not listed here may contain interviews; they are best located by searching by subject or name. Some oral histories are the sole item in a collection, others may be part of a larger collection of personal papers.):
Aiken, Margaret, R.N., 87
Cooper, Beaufort (Boots), M.D. 1992.16
El Saadawi, N., M.D., 211
Taber, Elsie, Ph.D., 155
Togasaki, Yoshiye, M.D., 265
White-Hammond, Gloria, 184
The following tapes have no accession number. They are housed with the audio tapes boxed with tapes from Accession 265 and 1992.16.
Boutte, Thelma Coffey, M.D., 1989
Kirkpatrick, Dahlia, M.D., 1989
Barnes, Janet, M.D., 1989
Lain, Sarah, M.D., 1989