The Photograph Collection includes approximately 20,000 images from the mid 1800s to the present, illustrating College students at work and play, women physicians at work in offices, hospitals, and in clinics domestically and abroad, portraits, and research images.
6,000 images are catalogued by subject and personal name.
- Some images have been digitized as part of the Women Physicians 1850s-1970s digital collection
- Additional records can be searched by the archivists in a local database
- A rudimentary pdf inventory of the catalogued photographs (54mb pdf file) is categorized in these sections:
- Personal name
- Medical (WMC/MCP)
- Nursing (WMC/MCP)
- Buildings (WMC/MCP)
- Medical History
- Institutions (other than WMC/MCP)
- Organizations and associations
- Armed Services
- Logos and seals
- Other images can be located through collection descriptions and finding aids.
Moving images in the collection document work and events at the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania and Medical College of Pennsylvania. Films and video tapes include broadcast programs and oral history interviews.
Oil portraits and other art work representing the college, women in medicine and the art they create are also available.
Sound recordings include cassette and reel-to-reel tapes documenting speeches, conferences, lectures and interviews about WMC/MCP, women in medicine and related topics. Some recordings are included in the index; others can be found through collection descriptions and finding aids.
The Oral History page describes the oral history holdings in greater detail.
Please contact the archives staff for more information.